Medici Capelli is the trusted choice for patients on the Gold Coast. We are pleased to have established a reputation for our effective and quality hair loss treatments, including our scalp micropigmentation.
Scalp Micropigmentation as a Hair Loss Solution
Men and women confronted with androgenetic alopecia can use the scalp micropigmentation technique (SMP) as a solution to their hair loss. This hair tattooing treatment implants microdots on the scalp to mimic the appearance of hair follicles, thus creating a fuller look to the hair. This is a style known as pointillism and is done to develop natural-looking depth and definition. It is not considered a traditional tattoo, as tattoo ink penetrates deeper into the skin with a thicker needle but is more in line with cosmetic tattooing. The treatment is quick with minimal discomfort, and the results are seen immediately.
Lucas from SMP Gold Coast is the expert in this field. He is a trained Hair Transplant Technician with over ten years of experience in hair restoration procedures. With this many years of surgical knowledge, his follicle replication is second to none.
Lucas is the only SMP artist in Australia to be sponsored by Ez Tattoo.
Benefits of SMP Treatments
There are several advantages to receiving a scalp micropigmentation treatment, including:
- Leaves you with natural, real-looking results.
- Restores your natural hairline to create a fuller appearance.
- Boosts your self-esteem and confidence.
- Non-invasive with minimal discomfort.
- Permanent, long-lasting, and immediate results.
- Fewer risks compared to more invasive hair treatments.
- Durable results mean it is perfect for individuals with an active lifestyle.
- Can disguise scarring from alopecia or hair transplants.
Types of Treatable Hair Loss
The following kinds of hair loss can be treated with scalp micropigmentation:
- Crown balding
- Androgenetic and areata alopecia
- Receding hairline
- Complete hair loss
- Diffused hair loss
- Thinning hair
The Scalp Micropigmentation Process
Before your SMP treatment begins, a topical numbing cream is applied to the treatment areas to minimise your discomfort. However, the discomfort you may experience depends on your pain tolerance levels. A colour chart is made for each client, ensuring a precise shade match for a natural, realistic result. SMP is performed over three to four sessions, one week apart, and is usually around three hours per session, depending on the size of the area.
During your first session, we will begin the layering process, which is designed to give contrast between pigment shades, by implanting microdots appropriately spaced to leave room for your subsequent sessions. By the end of the first session, you will see a light shadow over your scalp.
At your second session, we assess the results and blend the pigment, tattooing the whole area with another layer of microdots between the healed dots. The dots may be lightened or darkened to help give a realistic look to them, and by the end, you will notice the coverage has doubled since your first session.
For your final session, we will assess, adjust, and finish the last layer, focusing on creating a new hairline with definition and ensuring everything is blended for a natural look. Depending on your desired coverage, you may require another session before your final treatment.
What to do before and after your SMP treatments
During your consultation at our clinic on the Gold Coast, you will be advised of some pre- and post-treatment guidelines, including:
- Shower before each session as you will not be able to wash or wet your scalp for four days after treatment. This includes excessive sweating.
- Do not go swimming, use steam rooms and saunas, or take extremely hot showers between treatments.
- Avoid direct sun exposure on your scalp for the first four days. Wearing a hat is advised if out in the sun.
- Avoid heavy, vigorous exercise for five days after your final treatment.
- Continue avoiding steam rooms, saunas, and swimming for 28 days after your final treatment.
- Keep out of direct sun exposure for 28 days after the last treatment.
- Regularly moisturise the treated area, starting on the fourth day of your final treatment and in between sessions.
Want to find out more about Scalp Tattoo? Email or contact us at our clinic for details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I see results after the first session?
Yes. You will see minimal results after the first session.
How long will my scalp micropigmentation results last?
SMP should last many years with a small top-up sometimes required after 1 or 2 years.
Does scalp micropigmentation require time off work?
The only down time is getting the procedure itself. Any redness will subside over the next few hours and you can wear a hat to go back to work.
If I have grey hair, can I still receive this treatment?
Yes, all SMP treatments are essentially a shade of grey, replicating follicles under the skin.
Is it possible for this procedure to cause hair loss?
Absolutely no. In fact, SMP can sometimes be a stimulant for dormant follicles.